​Run-Off Election in Miami

What is a Run-Off election in Miami? How Do They Work?

The United States is governed by laws spread across numerous jurisdictions. The country is divided between states, districts, etc. Even on a state level, voting, elections, and legislation are divided by different levels of power spread through districts and varied levels depending on various factors. 

The same distribution of authority and regulation also applies to the rules that govern our election process. For example, some states, counties, and cities rely on a specific election type that we call a run-off election.

What is a run-off election? This is a secondary type of general election held by the state of Florida (amongst others) that involves the top receiving vote-getters going through the second phase of voting. After a general election, the state will narrow the candidates to a pool of two, enabling voters to then cast another vote out of these two to finalize the decision.

Some states will even rely on primary run-off elections. These typically take place to decide who receives a party nomination for a particular office. Nonetheless, Florida does not represent one of these states that employ primary run-off elections.

This whole process may seem very confusing. However, there is no need to worry. Our team from Reach Voters wants to help by offering up useful information on the basics of how a run-off election in Miami works. Read on to learn more.

How Majority and Plurality Voting Works

Florida has what we call a two-round election system. This involves the aforementioned process where a candidate submits to two separate elections to take a post. 

In the first general election, all candidates remain present. In some situations, no candidate from the pool may receive at least 50 percent of the total vote. This is where the state or city will hold a run-off election amongst the two top-performing candidates. 

During a run-off election in Miami, a candidate will need to attain over 50 percent of the vote to win. The good news is that this remains a certainty with only two-party candidates involved.

Florida relies on run-off elections to keep candidate pools open while also ensuring that voters receive the opportunity to select the “right” candidate for the available office. 

The first general election will narrow the pool down, enabling voters to choose between the two most popular candidates.

This is what we call the majority versus plurality. A majority vote involves the final elected candidate receiving over 50 percent of the entire voting total. Contrarily, a plurality vote is where no candidate from the pool receives the majority of all the votes in order to take office.

How a run-off election in Miami Works

An example of a run-off election in Miami involves four separate candidates running for the same office seat. Only one seat remains available for an elected candidate. In the first general election, Candidate 1 receives 20% of the total vote. Candidate 2 receives 30%, 3 receives 10%, and finally, Candidate 4 receives the highest total at 40%. Nonetheless, Candidate 4 still did not cross the majority vote threshold of 50%.

This situation necessitates a run-off election in Miami to determine the final elected candidate. Candidate 1 and Candidate 3 would be eliminated as the two lower vote receivers of the four. This then enables candidates 2 and 4 to go through the run-off election procedure.

With only two candidates remaining, Miami voters can then choose between the two candidates on the run-off ballot, selecting the final individual who will take their post for the elected office in question.

Information on a Run-Off Election in Miami from our Team at Reach Voters

​Run-Off Election in MiamiNo election system is perfect, and run-offs are no exception. Nonetheless, the run-off election system works by narrowing the pool of candidates by cutting down multiple potentials to just two. With a variety of running individuals, the chances remain far more likely that a representative experiences an inability to receive the majority vote.

Reach Voters takes great pride in the information and education that we provide to candidates and voters alike. With a notable gap in the amount of basic information available to new candidates and voters, we fill this void by offering up understandable, relatable information to those interested. 

Voting remains the best way that residents can have their voices heard. For this reason, knowing as much as possible on the issues, in addition to the voting and elections procedures, remains crucial. To learn more about voting, as well as a run-off election in Miami, reach out to our professional team today!


  1.  “Primary Runoffs – Ncsl.” http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/primary-runoffs.aspx. Accessed 6 Jan. 2020.
  2.  “Two-round voting – RationalWiki.” 19 Jan. 2019, https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Two-round_voting. Accessed 6 Jan. 2020.
  3.  “Majority Vote explained in the Election Glossary! – Polyas.” https://www.polyas.com/election-glossary/majority-vote. Accessed 6 Jan. 2020.
  4.  “Plurality-Majority Systems – FairVote.” https://www.fairvote.org/plurality_majority_systems. Accessed 6 Jan. 2020.