Miami-Dade County & Municipal Elections
Miami-Dade County has governing bodies where the members go through an election. This puts the power in the hands of the voters during election time in Miami, ensuring that voters can have their voices heard.
The upcoming general elections for county mayor, and county commissioner districts include districts 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. This additionally includes municipal elections for county property appraiser, county judge, the clerk of the circuit court, and South Dade Soil and Water Conservation District on November 3rd, 2020. An additional primary remains scheduled for August 18th, 2020 as well.
These elections remain important as the best way for voters to cast their opinions on the individuals that affect the laws and impositions in their day-to-day lives. For this reason, our team from Reach Voters wants to break down and share some information on municipal elections for voters, as well as for candidates. Read on to learn more.
Information for Potential Candidates During Election Time in Miami
Election information that we contain on our site is not intended as a comprehensive guide regarding elections laws. Every candidate in municipal elections in the Miami-Dade area must comply with and adhere to any and all current and applicable laws as regulated by the State of Florida, Miami-Dade County, as well as the specific municipality concerning the elections. Nevertheless, City Charter and Code Ordinances may additionally remain preempted by Florida law.
In order to qualify for municipal elections, candidates must:
- Make a statement of candidacy
- Appoint a campaign treasurer and designate their campaign depository with this form.
- Declare a statement of financial interests
- Declare ethical campaign practices
By following these practices, filling out the necessary paperwork, and declaring candidacy, individuals in the Miami-Dade area may campaign and go through the elections process in Miami-Dade County.
Election Time Miami – Information on Upcoming Municipal Elections for Voters
Florida City’s Biannual Election is taking place on Tuesday, January 28th, 2020. By visiting the Miami-Dade County Elections Information Site, you can attain necessary information on sample balloting and further information on this election.
Additionally, the following elections are upcoming in Miami-Dade County:
- South Miami General and Special Elections on Tuesday, February 11th, 2020
- Surfside General Municipal Election on Tuesday, March 17th, 2020.
For any voter that has not submitted a vote-by-mail ballot by election time in Miami, they must submit a ballot in-person before 7 P.M. with the Miami-Dade Elections Department. They can also go to their specified polling place to return the ballot. The location will mark the vote-by-mail ballot as canceled, enabling voters to cast their vote as normal.
If a voter doesn’t return their ballot and still want to vote, the election board must confirm they didn’t receive the voter’s ballot. If they cannot determine this information, they can then issue a provisional ballot. Voters can track their ballot here, and attain more information through the Voter Information Guide.
Information on Municipal Elections in Miami-Dade County from Reach Voters
Miami-Dade County works to ensure that every election remains fair, accurate, transparent, convenient, and accessible to voters in the area. Similarly, Reach Voters commits to sharing up-to-date and useful information with our clients and readers. To learn more about election time in Miami and the surrounding areas, contact our team today!
- “Miami-Dade County.” https://www.miamidade.gov/. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “Laws & Rules – Division of Elections – Florida Department of ….” https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/laws-rules/. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “Miami-Dade County Compilation of Candidate Forms.” 7 Mar. 2019, http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/library/qualifying-handbook/compilation-of-forms.pdf. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “View information about upcoming municipal elections.” 17 Dec. 2019, https://www.miamidade.gov/global/news-item.page?Mduid_news=news1547756720256301. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “Vote by Mail – Miami-Dade County.” https://www.miamidade.gov/global/service.page?Mduid_service=ser1512065909614490. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “Elections – Miami-Dade County.” https://www.miamidade.gov/global/elections/home.page. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “Voter Information – Miami-Dade County.” http://miamidade.gov/elections/voter-information.asp. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.
- “Voter Information Guide. – Miami-Dade County.” https://www.miamidade.gov/elections/library/guidelines/voter-information-guide.pdf. Accessed 30 Jan. 2020.